- I read two favorites, The Boy Who Cried Ninja by Alex Latimer and Chicken Butt by Erica Perl. (Chicken Butt is sooo inappropriate, but amazingly, none of you kids seemed offended.)
- I showed some joke books and informed my visitors that they're almost impossible to find, hidden between sports, magic and poetry, so if you're looking for joke books in a library, just ask the librarian.
- I passed out some jokes. See full list below. I gave them ten minutes to read them and practice them. BEFORE I passed them out, I should have read them one or two knock knock jokes myself. It was important to model the reading of a joke to them. I let them trade jokes in for ones they really liked, I let them practice on each other in whispers, and I told them it was important when they read one to punch up the pun so their listeners would get it. It was really fun. Everyone wanted to read, some wanted to go twice, and even the little ones who really couldn't read their simple jokes were reading away. It was important for me to stand by their sides and play the straight man for them. (Which dinosaur is the smartest? Me: Which dinosaur is the smartest?) This makes sure everyone can hear and attention stays on the reader.
- I talked about an April Fool's Day joke I had made: a bottle of nail polish tipped over onto a piece of wax paper so that it looked like it had spilled on the counter. I talked about jokes and April Fool's Day stuff.
- Drum roll. I told them the camp counselor, Carrie, had offered to let me throw a pie in her face. We had talked about it before and I told her that really, she would tip it up into my face while I stood there with the pies ready, my arms at my side. But she didn't evidently trust me (!!!) and I told the kids I had to take Ms. Carrie and give her a talking to. I reassured her and the pie landed in my face. I must say, she was very timid about execution. A pie -- and then another -- in the face is quite an experience. Always remember to bring a change of clothes that day. Lucky I had a clean shirt.
- We made a craft of trick rings. The girls used some large foam hearts I had, but the boys had to cover wooden beads with tinfoil. Then insert a pipe cleaner through the bead hole. This is your new "ring" and goes on the outside of your hand. On the inside of your hand, on the palm side, you put a small piece of sponge, and hold that in place with the rest of the pipe cleaner as you twist it closed. Then practice your trick routine. For girls, show off your beautiful ring, "Look what I made in craft!" take the other person's hand, and then give them a W-E-T squeeze. For boys, say, "I have the ring of power! Feel my powerful grip, and then give them a W-E-T squeeze."
This was a GOOD TIME!!!
Yeast you can do is laugh at this joke
You want Tibet on who it is?
Beth wishes on your graduation.
Meg up your mind.
You Cosmo trouble than anyone I know.
Kenya please keep quiet in there. I’m trying to sleep.
‘Mile, I’m going to take your picture.
Wanda buy some candy?
Donut be so dumb? You know very well who I am.
Lettuce in and we’ll be good.
Justin case I don’t see you, happy birthday!
Owl be your best friend if you open the door.
Spook-etti with meatballs is my favorite food.
Ooze gonna open the door?
Oscar what she wants for dinner.
Leggo the door – I’m trying to get in!
Weirdo you think you’re going?
Ride ‘em, cowboy!
Gorilla cheese sandwich for me, please.
Phil up the tub with warm water. I’m taking a bath.
Voodoo you think you’re talking to?
Oh, don’t cry, it’s only me.
Annie body wanna play with me?
What do you call a worried dinosaur?
A nervous Rex. (wreck)
How do you stop a charging dinosaur?
Take away his credit card!
What do you call a tyrannosaurus rex when it wears a cowboy hat and boots?
Did you hear the joke about the dinosaur egg?
It cracked me up!
What do you call a dinosaur that never gives up?
What do you get when you cross a dinosaur with fireworks?
What do you call a fossil that doesn’t want to work?
What do you do when a dinosaur sneezes?
You get out of the way!
Why did the dinosaur put on a bandaid?
He had a dino-sore.
Why doesn’t the T.rex skeleton attack museum visitors?
She has no guts!
Which dinosaur is the smartest?
What dinosaur loves pancakes?
What do monsters read in the newspaper?
What happened to the two mad vampires?
They went a little batty.
What do you get if you cross a long-fanged, purple-spotted monster with a cat?
A town with no dogs.
How do you talk to a giant?
Use big words.
What do rabbits sing to each other once a year?
What do you call a bear with no teeth?
A gummy bear.